Storage Solutions

I don't know about you, but sometimes when I'm out shopping in those fancy home stores, I can go a bit crazy. I tend to buy beautiful things for our home that are great in theory, but when it comes to putting those items to use in the real world..it just doesn't work.

When I'm in the serving ware department I start day dreaming of myself as the woman who loves having dinner parties, and as the hostess with the mostess. Don't lie. You know you've been there too, looking at a piece of cookware or gorgeous serving platter, you can just see yourself passing it around your dining table as your guests coo in delight. Then you buy it, bring it home, and you're stuck with the task of figuring out where in the world you are going to store a huge serving piece you might use once a year. Am I right? You know I am.

In finding a place for everything, and trying to keep everything in it's place, I've found our small kitchen to be quite a challenge. I have so many serving pieces and so little space. One of my favorite things and my biggest storage challenge was my pedestal cake stand. I got this piece for a steal during a great clearance event.




 I pictured all the great gatherings where I would pull this cake stand out with a delightful cake inside and all the oohs and aahs I would hear from friends and family. Reality is, I've had a cake on this cake plate one time. The rest of the time this thing is just in the way and a real pain to store.

 I finally had that light bulb moment one day when I was looking for a place to keep our paper plates. I didn't want them just lying on the hutch in the open, since they could get dusty, and I didn't have room with my regular plates. I was moving things around when I noticed my unused cake plate. Light Bulb! Pulling out my pedestal cake stand it was a perfect size to hold our paper plates. With the cover on it keeps them clean and being on the hutch the plates are now at an easy reach. When we don't have paper plates, we can store our lunch sized plates on the cake plate too. Re-purposing my unused pedestal cake stand, has let me keep a beautiful serving piece and made it useful in the real world.
No place for our paper plates. Storage Solution: Pedestal Cake Stand.

5 comments:

  1. Good thinking! Would never have thought to do this. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so crafty! I never think of these things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first saw the picture I thought it was a fancy cake! Great idea, I wish I had more of those light bulb moments in my small kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

Love This? Share It!